Mastersmith Test Set
Product Description for Mastersmith Test Set
Maker: Ed Fowler, M.S. (click to see more by this maker)
Item num: 4260
*** This is handmade and one-of-a-kind ***
Item weight: 29.00 oz.
Shipment weight: 48 oz.
Description: Mastersmith Ed Fowler is among the best known knifemakers and many consider him the father of the High Performance Knife. His work is well known for its keen, long lasting edges and comfortable sheep horn handle. Ed joined the American Bladesmith Society in 1985 after attending a forging tutorial taught by Mastersmith Bill Moran in Laramie, WY. He became a journeyman smith is 1988 and a Mastersmith in 1991. These blades are the knives that were judged for perfection by the ABS when Ed was awarded his stamp. Each knife was developed as his tribute to the forged blade, the sheep horn handles absolutely premium.
The set consists of the following:
A photo of these knives is on the cover of Ed's first major book, "Knife Talk". This set was kept by Ed in a safe deposit box and has been in a single collection. Ed has asked that it be sold and maintained as a set. The knives have been meticulously cared for and are in new condition.
- Bird & Trout: 5160 carbon steel blade forged to shape and multiple quenched (sheep horn with brass bolster) - 2.7" blade length / 6.1" overall
- Pronghorn Hunter: 5160 carbon steel blade forged to shape and multiple quenched (sheep horn with brass bolster) - 4.3" blade length / 8.8" overall
- Damascus Bird and Trout: Forged to shape from Ed's wire Damascus (sheep horn with brass bolster) - 2 3/4" blade length / 6.6" overall
- Damascus Pronghorn Hunter: Ladder pattern Damascus blade forged from L6 and mild steel (sheep horn with brass bolster) - 4 1/4" blade length / 8.8" overall
- The quillion dagger: forged from wire rope (steel cable), the heat treatment pushed to performance to the limit of the time. The guard and pommel were also forged from the same billet of cable Damascus, carefully developed from seven strands of 7/8ths inch improved plow wire rope. The handle is pre-ban ivory donated to Ed's endeavor by Mastersmith Wayne Goddard - 6 3/4" blade length / 10" overall
- The bent Damascus blade was the performance blade for Ed's test. Mastersmith Wayne Goddard visited Ed's shop and witnessed the performance part of the testing required to achieve the Mastersmith stamp. It is forged to shape from O1 and mild steel with over 200 layers - 6 3/4" blade length - 10 1/3" overall
- The unhandled dagger blade is Damascus and was one of his practice blades when developing his skills to forge the dagger - 2.7" cutting edge / 6 3/4" overall
Accompanied by a certificate of authenticity by Ed.
Availability: Not currently available