Item num: 3770
Item weight: 59.20 oz.
Description: Art and Design in Modern Custom Fixed-Blade Knives is the second book on the subject of knives that Dr. David Darom has completed. It is unique among books about custom fixed blade knives. For the first time, a book has been created that has unparalleled photography and information about some of the best fixed blade knife makers in the world. Dr. Darom selected 26 featured artists and has presented their art on eight pages each.
This book provides insight into the personal lives of the artists as well as their thoughts and feelings about their craft -- breathing life into steel objects. This was achieved only by the full and enthusiastic cooperation of everyone involved, presented here in the form of their biographies and signed personal statements.
To complete the documentation of this astounding modern art form, a group of world experts wrote an original introduction to the book. The introduction includes such topics as:
All are covered in detail with original illustrations.
- Modern Custom Knifemaking (Dennis Greenbaum)
- Lloyd Hale, a Pioneer of the Art Knife Movement (Ed Wormser)
- San Francisco Knives (Phil Lobred)
- The Knife Art of Jim Kelso (Dr. Larry Martin)
- Classic Motifs in Moder Custom Art Knives (Don Guild)
- The Elements of Blade Steels (Deryk Munroe)
- Integrals and Interframes (Ricardo Velarde)
The eight page sections dedicated to each of the 26 featured artists consist of the following:
- The artist's picture, biography and personal signed statement
- A photographic sequence showing the artist creating one of the features of a fixed blade knife made specially for the book
- A full page illustration of the featured knife created for the book
- Five pages showing choice art fixed blades made by the artist in recent years
Featured artists include:
- Hard Cover: 276 pages
- Dimensions (in inches): 1.3 x 11.4 x 9
- Printed in Israel, March 2005
- Limited edition of 2500 copies
Availability: In stock. Usually ships in 1-2 business days